Import an Essbase Cube into the OBIEE 12c Administration Tool
This blog outlines an example on importing an essbase cube into the OBIEE RPD.
Import the Essbase Cube
- Open the Oracle BI Administration Tool
- Set preferences for the Administration Tool. To set preferences:
- Select Tools, then select Options to display the Options dialog.
- On the General tab, select the options you want to choose
- Click (uncheck) “Skip Gen 1 levels in Essbase drag and drop actions”
- When selected, excludes Gen 1 levels when you drag and drop Essbase cubes or dimensions from the Physical layer to the Business Model and Mapping layer. Often, Gen 1 levels are not needed for analysis, so they can be excluded from the business model.
- Start importing from Essbase…File > Import Metadata > Select Essbase 9 >
- Enter server name
- Enter user name and password
- Click ‘Next’ and you should see a similar screen below listing the Essbase cubes on the server.
- If you do not seen similar results go to the troubleshooting steps at the end of this document.
- Select the ECAP cube and click the single Blue arrow so that OBI brings the cube into the Repository View. Can take 2-3 minutes depending on connection speed/VPN.
- Once it’s in the Repository View, click the Finish button. You will see the newly added db within the Physical Layer. Can take 2-3 minutes depending on connection speed/VPN.
- Expand ECAP and then right-click the second Revenue and select ‘Create Columns for Alias Table…’
- Select ‘Default’ and click OK.
- Double-click the 2nd Revenue and change the Display Column…Alias to ‘Default’. Click OK.
- Right click on the Revenue cube and select ‘Convert measure dimensions to flat measures’
- Save your changes but DO perform a Global Consistency Check
If you have any questions about connecting OBIEE or Essbase, please contact me the email address below:
Kiel Briggs: email@example.com