Importing Essbase Cubes into the OBIEE 12c Administration Tool
This blog outlines an example on importing an essbase cube into the OBIEE RPD.
Import the Essbase Cube
- Open the Oracle BI Administration Tool
- Set preferences for the Administration Tool. To set preferences:
- Select Tools, then select Options to display the Options dialog.
- On the General tab, select the options you want to choose
- Click (uncheck) “Skip Gen 1 levels in Essbase drag and drop actions”
- When selected, excludes Gen 1 levels when you drag and drop Essbase cubes or dimensions from the Physical layer to the Business Model and Mapping layer. Often, Gen 1 levels are not needed for analysis, so they can be excluded from the business model.
- Start importing from Essbase…File > Import Metadata > Select Essbase 9 >
- Enter server name
- Enter user name and password
- Click “Next” and you should see a similar screen below listing the Essbase cubes on the server.
- If you do not seen similar results go to the troubleshooting steps at the end of this document.
- Select the ECAP cube and click the single Blue arrow so that OBI brings the cube into the Repository View. Can take 2-3 minutes depending on connection speed/VPN.
- Once it’s in the Repository View, click the Finish button. You will see the newly added db within the Physical Layer. Can take 2-3 minutes depending on connection speed/VPN.
- Expand ECAP and then right-click the second Revenue and select “Create Columns for Alias Table…”
- Select “Default” and click OK.
- Double-click the 2nd Revenue and change the Display Column…Alias to “Default.” Click OK.
- Right click on the Revenue cube and select “Convert measure dimensions to flat measures.”
- Save your changes but DO perform a Global Consistency Check
Free eBook Download
In the eBook “Having a Conversation with Data”, learn what the current BI infrastructure has been and associated challenges with the traditional approach. How important the user experience is in order to best maximize data’s value (think visualizations!!) to your organization and how to gain a competitive advantage with modern analytics platforms.